- Peel the garlic, then smash the cloves using a meat pounder or the bottom of a heavy skillet until wispy and flat.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, heat the olive oil, then add the crushed garlic, and cook, smashing with the back of a wooden spoon and stirring occasionally, until golden brown and beginning to stick to the bottom of the pan, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the white beans and their liquid, crushed tomatoes, stock or water, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then partly cover, reduce heat, and let simmer until thickened and fragrant, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion or regular blender, purée the soup until smooth. (I skip this step in Sprinter)
- Add cream or stock or water to thin as desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle with heavy cream before serving.