A hearty tomato soup with very good flavor. This recipe is a combination Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup & Homemade Roasted Tomato Basil Soup.
- Preheat the oven: 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place halved tomatoes, red peppers, and garlic cloves on the baking sheet and drizzle with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Generously season with salt and pepper. Roast for 40-45 minutes, or until the veggies are tender, lightly browned and close to half their original size. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, you can make the caramelized onions: Add ½ tablespoon olive oil to a large pot and place over medium heat. Add the onion slices and stir to coat the onions with olive oil. Cook, stirring occasionally. Check onions every 5-10 minutes until they have completely caramelized and turned golden in color. This usually takes 20 minutes.
- Once tomatoes, peppers, and garlic are done roasting, allow them to cool for 10 minutes, then add them to a food processor with the caramelizing the onions and basil, blend until smooth. Alternatively you can add them to the large pot and use an immersion blender. It's really just about what you have available to you.
- After blending, turn to medium low heat and add in tomato paste, Oregano, vegetarian broth and salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow tomato soup to simmer 10 minutes before serving. To serve, garnish with parmesan cheese and serve with grilled cheese, if desired.