- Soften yeast in ¼ cup warm water. (add a bit of the honey)
- Combine eggs, shortening, sugar, softened yeast, remaining warm water, salt, and 2 ½ cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Cover and allow to rise until double. Punch down and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Three hours before baking, roll out as desired.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees; bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each half into rectangle ½ inch thick. Spread with butter. Roll up jelly roll style and cut into 1 inch slices. Place in greased muffin tins, cut side down. Cover and allow to rise 2-3 hours. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees; bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Combine ⅓ cup melted butter, ½ cup granulated sugar and grated zest of 1 orange. Spread on dough instead of butter. Continue preparation as for dinner rolls. Frost with confectioners sugar icing while hot. To make icing, combine 1 cup confectioners sugar and ¼ to ⅓ cup milk.
Garlic Parmesan Rolls
- Pinch off small pieces of dough and roll between hands to make slender sticks. Place on greased baking sheet, brush with melted butter and sprinkle lightly with garlic salt and heavily with Parmesan cheese. Allow to rise and bake as for dinner rolls.