This sauce is a great base for Pizza & Spaghetti.
- Heat this oil in a heavy pot. Add the onions and carrots and cook covered until veggies are tender (about 25 minutes)
- Add tomatoes, basil, thyme, salt, cayenne pepper, bay leaves, and garlic. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally. (about 30 minutes)
- Remove the bay leaves and transfer to bowl of food processor fitted with a steel blade, or use an immersion blender, and puree.
- Return the sauce to the pot and set over medium heat, add the parsley and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Taste and correct seasoning. Add the balsamic vinegar, if the sauce seems to lack intensity. Serve immediately. To store, cool to room temp and refrigerate or freeze.