- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, beat vegetable oil and sugar until thick and opaque. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together all-purpose flour, cloves, cinnamon, mace, baking soda and salt, then stir in whole-wheat flour. Add to oil and egg mixture and mix until well blended.
- Add walnuts, apple chunks and Calvados all at once and stir batter until pieces are evenly distributed.
- Pour batter into a greased 10-inch round cake pan. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cake rest for 10 minutes, then unmold and pour Apple Cider Glaze over warm cake, or cut cake and pour Apple Cider Glaze over slices.
Apple Cider Glaze
- Melt butter in a small saucepan and stir in both sugars.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat slightly and cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly. Pour while still warm over warm cake.
~ 1 ½ cups glaze