A delicious cake to showcase the fruits of the season. I think of this as Birthday morning surprise!
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
- Cream the butter and batter sugar in a large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and beat well. Add the vanilla and beat until blended.
- Sift flour and the baking powder together. Add the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk to the butter mixture, beating well after each addition and beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons flour over the fruit in a separate bowl and toss to coat. Combine the topping sugar, the walnuts, melted butter, and the cinnamon in a small bowl stir toss with fruit. Gently Pour over batter.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake is withdrawn clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack and serve slightly warm.